Postcode: 4014 | Distance to CBD: 11
Welcome to Banyo
Banyo is a residential suburb popular with families, students and long term older residents. There are also large sections of industrial land and warehouses in the south. During World War II Banyo was one of several Brisbane suburbs with US army ordnance depots. Today residents are well served with facilities including the Banyo train station adjacent to an established shopping precinct with bakeries, grocery stores, takeways, post office, medical centre and hair salons. Near the station is the Memorial Park. Other recreational facilities include Banyo Bowls Club and Virginia Golf Course. There are early learning facilities at Approach Road, St Vincents Road and Tufnell Road. Earnshaw State College is the local school and a prep-to-year-12 (P-12) formed in 2003 from the merger of Banyo High and Nudgee State School which has been redeveloped as a housing estate.
Banyo is about 11km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 42% of households in this area are comprised of couples with children, 37% are couples without children and 18% are single parent families. Stand alone houses account for 97% of all dwellings in this area. There’s mixed housing styles in this area – from modern brick and tile to older timber and tin homes in need of renovations. This is a very quiet suburb and the housing lots are large.
Banyo Village on St Vincents Road, Nundah Village and Sue’s Korner are just some of the shopping options available to you in and around Banyo.
11 km north-northeast of the Brisbane CBD.
Golden Circle Cannery, Banyo, Nudgee and Bindha train stations all close by
As with its surrounding suburbs, Banyo - about 11km from the Brisbane CBD - offers residents affordable housing with easy access to modern facilities and leisure activities. For this reason it is home to a mix of young and established families and retirees. The Golden Circle Cannery is an icon in the area and provides employment for residents of Banyo and the surrounding suburbs.
Facilities such as hospitals, schools and shops are readily available to residents. Chermside offers residents access to two hospitals and a major shopping centre featuring all major retailers, restaurants and a cinema/entertainment complex. Residents also have easy access to Westfield Shoppingtown Toombul. Recreational facilities in the suburb include the Virginia Golf Club, a motocross circuit in the parkland bordering the Gateway Motorway and the Padua College Sports Ground.
The neighbouring suburb of Nudgee also provides leisure facilities including the Nudgee Golf Course and the local rugby league club as well as natural picnic spots at the Nudgee Waterhole Reserve and the Nudgee Recreation Reserve. Boondall also provides plenty of bike and walk ways, picnic and barbeque spots near lagoons and wetlands. Musical and stage shows are also easily accessible at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre, also in Boondall. Earnshaw State College and St Pius Primary School service the families in the area and are complemented by state and public schools in surrounding suburbs such as Boondall, and Zillmere.
Public transport is also very accessible with three train stations in the vicinity (Nudgee, Banyo and Bindha) and city express bus services running at regular intervals. The Gateway Motorway is easily accessible and acts as the boundary between Banyo and the Brisbane Airport on the eastern most side of the suburb. The major road to and from the city is Sandgate Road, and puts the commute to Brisbane city at around 20 to 25 minutes.
The Jagera and Turrbal groups occupied land in the Brisbane and Ipswich areas. The exact boundaries are not known, however, the Turrbal generally occupied the area north of the Brisbane River. Both groups had closely related languages which are classified as belonging to the larger Yaggera language group. The area has a rich indigenous history. Evidence of Aboriginal occupation can be found in a bora ring at Nudgee Waterhole and in sites of special importance at Dinah Island, near Boondall Wetlands. The suburb’s name is believed to have derived from the Aboriginal word indicating small hill or ridge.
In 1858 the first mail service to the area was made by horse drawn coach and it passed through Banyo, Northgate, Nundah and Nudgee on its way to Sandgate.
In 1912 suburban development resulted in the establishment of a stopping place for the Sandgate bound train at the Tufnell Road level crossing. The new station consisting of twin platforms was named Banyo, despite it being known locally as Clapham Junction.
During the Second World War there was a lot of activity in Banyo as the Brisbane General Depot, consisting of 14 warehouses, was built in 1943 and American troops were housed nearby. Following the War the suburb developed to encompass a mix of residential housing and light industry.
The name Robinson was important to the development of Banyo. James Robinson arrived in Moreton Bay in 1849 and settled in the area some time later. He fathered Henry and William Robinson who both served as councilors on the Toombul Shire Council.
Robinson Road, Nundah is named after Henry Robinson. WB Robinson owned four blocks of land and he established a pineapple cannery on his property. His residence was on the site of the Church of the Holy Trinity. Robinson’s Paddock Estate offered 81 choice and elevated blocks after the Railway Station was created.
The Golden Circle Limited Company has been an integral part of the Banyo-Nudgee area since 1947. It is sited on land that was originally part of the Brisbane General Depot. Golden Circle is sited close to the railway on 16.5 hectares of land. For ten years Golden Circle has been a major sponsor of the local Bangee Festival.
Bishop James Quinn acquired land for the Banyo Seminary in 1863 but a decision to build a place for men to train to become priests was taken much later. The formal opening of Pius X11 Seminary took place on 27 April 1941. The Seminary now has a new role as the Catholic University.
Reference: BRISbites, 2000