Postcode: 4013 | Distance to CBD: 9 km

Welcome to Northgate
This older northern suburb is still reminiscent of an old-fashioned area, from days long gone. There are many generous blocks, some tree-lined streets, small corner stores and sprawling old Queenslanders that typify Northgate. It's within walking distance to services and shops, including a primary school and the always-improving shopping and dining scene of Nundah Village. Residents are well connected by rail, with two lines meeting at Northgate station.

Brisbane Grammar School maintains its playing fields for cricket between the suburb and the Gateway Motorway. The northern edge of the suburb is industrial. The creek running through Northgate is Cannery Creek, which only got this official name in 2000. In the past, the creek was a dumping ground for industrial waste and had been known as Cannery Drain.

Northgate is about 9km from Brisbaneís CBD. Over 38% of households in this area are comprised of couples with children. A further 38% of households are couples without children. 20% of households are single parent families. Stand alone houses account for 66% of all dwellings in this area. Units account for a further 21% of dwellings. There are many older, timber homes in this area, most of which have been renovated. There are also plenty of modern townhouses and units.

Banyo Village on St Vincents Road is your closest centre for day-to-day essentials, or you can head over to Geebung shopping precinct on Newman Road.

9km north-east of the Brisbane CBD.

Northgate rail station, close to Westfield Shoppingtown Toombul

Northgate is located 9 kilometres northeast of the Brisbane CBD and like its neighbouring suburbs of Nundah, Wavell Heights and Banyo has seen an increase in buyer demand as a flow-on effect from the city's continuing suburban sprawl. The suburbs close proximity to the city and easy access to arterial roads and public transport has seen the demographic of residents in the area shift to young families and couples.

Residential development has been slowing and new buyers have been opting for the renovation of older housing. The situation is similar with vacant land. Supply is limited and given its attractiveness among younger residents the suburb has seen the growth of medium density units. However, the majority of residential properties (70%) in the suburb remain single unit detached dwellings (houses).

Local amenities add to the suburb's charm. The Northgate Reserve surrounding Northgate Primary School offers good bike and walkways as does other local parks scattered around the suburb. There are a number of state and private schools in neighbouring suburbs catering for both primary and secondary school children to complement Northgate Primary School.

Although Brisbane Grammar School is located away from Northgate its playing fields are located within the suburbs boundaries. The closest hospitals, Prince Charles Hospital and Holy Spirit Hospital are located in Chermside. Westfield Shoppingtown Toombul services residents with major retail and supermarket outlets while the Lutwyche shopping centre is also close. A bit further out to the north on Gympie Road is Westfield Shoppingtown at Chermside.

Residents also have access to excellent public transport services with the Caboolture and Shorncliffe train lines running through the area and Nundah, Northgate and Virginia train stations all close by. Regular bus routes also make getting into and out of the City easy. For residents wanting to travel a little further a field, Brisbane's Domestic and International Airports are easily accessible by car.

Aboriginal history
The Jagera and Turrbal groups occupied land in the Brisbane and Ipswich areas. The exact boundaries are not known, however, the Turrbal generally occupied the area north of the Brisbane River. Both groups had closely related languages, which are classified as belonging to the larger Yaggera language group. The area has a rich indigenous history.

Evidence of Aboriginal occupation can be found in a bora ring at Nudgee Waterhole and in sites of special importance at Dinah Island, near Boondall Wetlands. In July 2002 Aboriginal people located the wooden shaft of a spear during restoration work being carried out at the Waterhole by the Brisbane City Council.

Urban development
The suburbís name was given by the Railways Department in about 1890. It is a manufactured word taken from the name for the North Coast rail line and Sandgate.

The Toombul Ridge Estate was put up for auction on 28 Sep 1889 offering 57 allotments. It was bordered by Ridge St, Gympie St and Germania St.

The area now known as Northgate East was opened up for housing soon after World War 1 under the name Oates Estate. Hala Estate, bounded by Toombul Road, Melton Road, Allworth and Edgar Streets was first subdivided for sale on 11 October 1924. The Northgate Railway workshops were established at Northgate in 1915. Until the Second World War houses were still sparsely scattered throughout the area.

Notable residents
Stanley Richardson Place was named after one of the foundation and long standing members of the Progress Association. It is located not far from Progress Park on Oates Parade

The parkland known as Plaisted Place was named after a local business identity, Norman Plaisted, in 1957. He had built up a timber business originally owned by Russel & Isard Ltd on the corner of Duke Street and Jenner Street, Nundah. Normanís son, Bob, formed a new business on the same site and later the company traded as Plaistedís Toyota Centre. Norman was also Chairman of the Board of Directors of Queensland Soft & Hardwoods Pty Ltd at Kilcoy and he helped to form the Queensland Timber Board.

M.J Baxter established the Toombul Bowls Club in 1928 at the corner of Dwyer Street and Buckland Road Nundah. In 1948 the Buffalo Lodge purchased the land with the intention of building a temple. A non-affiliated Club operated until 1953 when it became affiliated with the Royal Queensland Bowls Club. The Club took on the Parish name of Toombul becoming the Toombul Bowls Club and it then purchased the property from the Buffalo Lodge. In 1970 the Club moved to 70 Flower Street Northgate.

The Governor Sir Mathew Nathan opened the Northgate Virginia School of Arts on 20 January 1922. The hall once housed a library and was used as a picture theatre.

Reference: BRISbites, 2000







National Head Office
Level 6A 'The Gateway'
50 Appel Street,
Surfers Paradise, 4217



website created by elite heat web

Privacy Policy  |  Disclaimer  |  Links  |  Contact  |  About Me  |  Testimonials  |  For Sale  |  Market Appraisal