Postcode: 4014 | Distance to CBD: 13
Welcome to Nudgee
The northside suburb of Nudgee has an interesting history including wine making and the genteel sport of golf. In 1866 the area included the Toombul Vineyards owned by the Childs family and in 1928 the same family developed the Nudgee Golf Course. Large tracts of wetlands remain today, including the Nudgee Waterholes and one of Brisbane's only remaining aboriginal bora rings.
For a suburb with a relatively small population, it packs in a lot. There's Nudgee Golf Course, the Nudgee State School established in 1874, the historic Roman Catholic Nudgee Cemetery, a recreation reserve, rugby field, transfer station (aka 'the tip') and even a seminary. Nudgee Beach is just up the road and the Nudgee train station makes it easy to get around as does the Gateway Motorway as it snakes across the landscape, allowing residents to head north or south as fast as the traffic is flowing.
Houses include Queenslanders on large lots, post-war styles and even a smattering of brand new homes. Some lower parts of the area are swampy but the higher sections were once fertile market gardens and small farms. During the construction of the airport in World War II, topsoil was removed from the suburb and farming came to an end.
Nudgee is about 13km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 46% of households in this area are comprised of couples with children, 35% are couples without children and 15% are single parent families. Stand alone house account for 99% of all dwellings in this area. There are older, timber homes in this area, many of which have been renovated. Many new houses are also being constructed in newer subdivisions.
Banyo Village on St Vincents Road, Nundah Village or Sue’s Korner on Sandgate Road at Boondall are your closest shopping areas.
13km north-east of the Brisbane CBD.
Nudgee Golf Course, Nudgee rail station
As with its surrounding suburbs, Nudgee - located approximately 13 kilometres from the Brisbane CBD - offers residents affordable housing, with easy access to modern facilities and leisure activities. For this reason it is home to a mix of young and established families and retirees. Facilities such as hospitals, schools and shops are readily available to residents. Chermside offers residents access to two hospitals and a major shopping centre featuring all major retailers, restaurants and a cinema/entertainment complex. Residents also have easy access to Toombul Shoppingtown.
Leisure facilities in Nudgee include the Nudgee Golf Course and the local rugby league club as well as natural picnic spots at the Nudgee Waterhole Reserve and the Nudgee Recreation Reserve. Neighbouring suburb Boondall also provides plenty of bike and walk ways, picnic and barbeque spots near lagoons and wetlands. Musical and stage shows are also easily accessible at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre, also in Boondall.
Although there are no schools located within Nudgee's suburb boundaries, schools in Boondall, Banyo, and Zillmere cater to both primary and secondary aged children. Public transport is also very accessible with three train stations in the vicinity (Nudgee, Banyo and Bindha) and city express bus services running at regular intervals. The Gateway Motorway separates the Golf Course from the rest of the suburb and provides excellent access for residents wanting to visit either the Sunshine Coast or the Gold Coast.
The major road in the area - Sandgate Road - puts the commute to Brisbane City at around 20-25 minutes. The majority (90 per cent) of housing around Nudgee is single unit detached dwellings or houses as opposed to townhouses and units. The demand for housing in the area has been reflected in Villa World's recent development of single unit detached dwellings in Boondall. The excellent facilities in and around the area have seen Nudgee's median sale price grow strongly.
Evidence of Aboriginal occupation can be found in a bora ring at Nudgee Waterhole and in sites of special importance at Dinah Island, near Boondall Wetlands.In July 2002 Aboriginal people located the wooden shaft of a spear during restoration work being carried out at the Waterhole by the Brisbane City Council. Nudgee, came from the Aboriginal (Oondumbi clan) words N'mugi or Na'dah, meaning the 'home of wild ducks'.
In 1866 Thomas Childs senior, with the assistance of his son David Joseph, selected 70 acres of land which became the Toombul Vineyard on Nudgee Road near the Nudgee Water Waterholes.
The Nudgee State School opened on 6 April 1874 in Nudgee Road and the first post office at Nudgee opened on 19 August 1882 . The establishment of the telegraph office in 1886 followed.
In1928 Bill Childs, whose family had owned the Toombul Vineyards, began work on what is now the Nudgee Golf Club. The suburb came under the control of the Toombul Shire Council until 1925 when it was absorbed by the Brisbane City Council.
Edward Burrow Forrest, from Nudgee, was appointed to the legislative council in 1882. He remained there until 1899 when he resigned to stand for the seat of Brisbane North in the legislative assembly. He won the seat and remained the MLA for that electorate until 1912.
W.D Robinson was a local farmer who decided to establish a pineapple cannery on his property in 1910. He bought fruit from other growers and processed them before the agents Webster and Co distributed them. The operation was known as the Pineavale Cannery. This cannery was situated about one kilometre from the present Golden Circle site at Northgate.
The Nudgee Waterhole has been a feature of the area for the Aborigines and for the white settlers. In 1881 it was declared a temporary reserve for water and since then gravel has been removed from the site and a small kiosk was built. The waterhole was a haven for birds and it was fringed with tall gum trees until it became overgrown and choked with weeds. In recent years it has received care and it has once again become a popular picnic spot.
Adjoining the waterhole is an Aboriginal Bora Ring, which was used before white occupation for ceremonial and religious purposes. It is extremely important, as it is one of the few remaining in the Brisbane metropolitan area.
Reference: BRISbites, 2000